The last conference I attended had such yummy lemon poppy seed muffins. I mean, no shying away from flavour and just the perfect amount of sweet!
So of course, I did right thing and went out to find myself some poppy seeds.
To my surprise, they were quite an easy find. And I went straight into exploring how I could reproduce these bad boys in my kitchen. Because, Lord knows, I have very little interest in sitting in another 8 hour ethics conference.
So at 4am (thank you, insomnia) I did some recipe-hunting, and altered a few recipes so that I could make half a dozen large muffins. I had neither milk nor buttermilk nor butter in stock (imagine) so I really wanted something that didn’t require me to go out to Engen and buy ingredients. Being the hungry mastermind that I am, I managed to concoct something that was actually really yummy!
1 cup cake flour (all purpose)
1/2 cup sugar + 5 tbsp sugar (separate)
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp poppyseeds
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt (I used double cream)
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 large egg
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp oil
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
2. Fill (large) muffin tin with 6 paper cups
3. Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, & salt in a large bowl.
4. In another bowl, whisk the yogurt, lemon zest, egg & 1 tbsp lemon juice.
5. Mix the wet mixture into the dry mixture, and then fold in the oil.
7. Pop into the oven for about 25 minutes.
8. Once they are ready, remove them from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
9. Mix the remaining 3 tsp lemon juice & 5 tsp sugar in a small pan on the stove. Mix until completely dissolved and thickened.
10. Pour glaze over the muffins.
11. Dig into those bad boys!
Love & Love!!